Wednesday, August 15, 2012

All-star game MVP Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games - India

15  aug 2012

All-star game MVP Melky Cabrera suspended 50 games after testing positive for testosterone


Dr Sanjay Kumar Cardiothoracic Cardiac Heart Surgeon India

DAVE KAUP/REUTERS Melky Cabrera, suspended 50 games, leads the NL in hits and is one plate appearance shy of qualifying for the batting title.

SAN FRANCISCO—Melky Cabrera was suspended 50 games Wednesday following a positive test for testosterone, putting an abrupt end to what had been an MVP-calibre regular season and throwing the San Francisco Giants’ playoff hopes into doubt.

Cabrera leads the National League with 159 hits, and is second in batting average behind Pittsburgh’s Andrew McCutchen. Cabrera’s penalty was the first for a high-profile player since last year’s NL MVP, Ryan Braun, had his suspension overturned by an arbitrator last winter.

“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used,” Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. “I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

The suspension would extend into the playoffs if the Giants advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment